Root canal treatment is an almost painless procedure and leaves you with minimum or no discomfort during the recovery process. It’s all due to modern techniques and adequate anesthesia that patients feel no uneasiness during the treatment.
What is a Root Canal?
A root canal is a restorative procedure undertaken to extract the infected and inflamed pulp from the inside of a tooth. The interior of the tooth is carefully disinfected and cleaned after the pulp is removed. The tooth is then filled and sealed with a rubbery material called gutta-percha. At the end of the treatment, a restorative appliance such as a crown or filling is secured to the tooth so that the patient can continue to bite and chew on the tooth without experiencing any difficulties. As the whole process is performed under anesthesia, the patients are relaxed and comfortable. On completion of the root canal procedure, the patients can go back to their daily routine.
When does a Root Canal become necessary?
The infected or decayed pulp tissue of an affected tooth doesn’t mend on its own. Here are a few indicators that your tooth requires treatment:
- Root Canal becomes necessary if a person has constant, persistent tooth pain
- When you experience pain when biting or chewing food.
- There are deep cavities or discoloration of a tooth
- There is swelling in the gums or the presence of a persistent gum pimple
- The patient feels extreme sensitivity to hot and cold temperature or touch
What are the principal advantages of saving the natural tooth?
- Root Canal treatments help in maintaining your natural smile, allow you to indulge in your favorite foods, and limit the necessity for further dental work. Most teeth that have had root canal treatment can last a lifetime if taken care of properly.
- Root canal treatment is an almost painless procedure, and you feel calm and relaxed during the process. The administration of local anesthesia before the treatment makes it easy for the patient to undergo the procedure.
- They are an efficient and cost-effective treatment when compared to the other restorative procedures.
- The results after the completion of a root canal procedure are quite visually appealing. The dental crowns are employed to protect and strengthen the cured tooth at the end of the procedure. These crowns not only resemble the natural tooth but also function like them.
- Root canal treatments help the patients enhance their smile and never shy away from laughing out loud.
Call Lanham Smiles family dentistry at (301) 459-0914 or schedule an online appointment to know more about Root Canals.